Today, The Legacy Center launched a new website to support the prevention efforts of the Developmental Assets, as well as emerging alcohol, marijuana and prescription drug trends in Midland County.
“There is a significant amount of misinformation on the internet and television about these substances – especially marijuana,” says Jennifer Heronema, coalition director and president of The Legacy Center. “We want parents to have a place where they can read about the latest trends, learn about the risks (short and long term) and gain access to tools that will help them encourage their child to make positive life choices and avoid risky behavior.”
As visitors review the site, they will find information about:
- Developmental Assets – What they are and how to instill them
- Alcohol, Marijuana and Prescription Drugs – Appearance, Impact and Resources
- Dump Your Drugs! – Dates for Collection of Unused/Expired Prescription Drugs
- Town Hall Meetings – Marijuana, Alcohol and Social Media
- About Us/Get Involved – The Coalition and Youth Committee
- Get Help – Support for parents who think their child might have a problem
In addition to the items listed above, the website will host a number of blog-type articles to keep parents informed (e.g. why kids use drugs, drugs and brain development, tips for talking with your child if you suspect drug use, teens and social media, and drugged driving.) Parents are encouraged to submit questions via email, and staff will work with local officials to get answers and post updates to the site.
The Community Calendar is, perhaps, the most exciting feature of the site. The calendar is designed to allow youth-serving organizations to quickly and easily post information about their events and programs. It will take time to populate the calendar, but the goal is for it to be a one-stop shop for parents who are looking for ways to get their kids involved in youth activities – sports, clubs and events.